St Paul’s Church Kindergarten first started as St. Paul’s School in 1937, one year after the consecration of St. Paul’s Church on 4th April 1936. Classes were held in the school hall (classrooms adjacent to the Church) constructed by the Church and dedicated on 31st October 1936. The school closed down in 1942 during the Japanese Occupation of World War II.
After the war, the premises were used as a Nursery school mainly or the children of the British servicemen living in the vicinity of St. Paul’s Church. The gradual withdrawal of the British Forces necessitated a change. In 1959, the Parochial Church Council reorganized the Nursery School into a Kindergarten, registered on 18th November 1953 with the Ministry of Education, operating from 9.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.. Mrs. Grace Low was appointed the first Principal and served in this position for 13 years. The school building was later extended to cover the present lower half of the building facing the playground.
On the retirement of Mrs. Grace Low as Principal, Mrs. Stella Corea was appointed as Principal with effect from 1st January 1972. In 1973, the Kindergarten premises were used during the afternoons from 2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. to run St. Paul’s Church Play Centre. The aim of the Centre was to provide preschool education for the children of the poor and need families living in the Upper Serangoon Road district. At the end of 1981, the Play Centre was discontinued as many families moved to other districts to settle in HBD flats.
In 1980, a second session Kindergarten was started to meet the demands for preschool education. This session functioned for 2 hours and 15 minutes from 11.30a.m. to 1.45 p.m. and in January 1982, this session was increased to three hours – 11.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m..